Left: original page. Right: redesigned page.
The prompt for this user experience design project was to redesign a website for both desktop and mobile, improving its usability, responsiveness, and visual design. I chose the professional website of a NY-based doctor. 
The original homepage and Questionnaires page.
As a first step, I used user-free evaluation methods to surface initial problems. I assessed the site using common usability criteria: was it easy to use and understand? Intuitive? Easy to remember? In terms of the content, could a returning user easily find the information or tools they needed? Was the terminology in line with what they would expect? 
With these questions in mind, I radically simplified the content structure on the website. For example,  ‘Health Tips’, ‘Questionnaires’, and ‘Better Health’ were all consolidated under ‘Patient Resources’. I considered two user types — a casual browser, new to the doctor, and an existing patient. The first might want to find information about the doctor’s practice and publications, but the latter would likely be visiting only to make an appointment or find a form. I simplified the site options to provide clear paths for each.
I used this new content structure to create simple wireframes for the desktop version. I printed these out in order to engage users in a quick ‘Wizard of Oz’ test — an easy way to check my assumptions and point to areas for improvement. The tests confirmed many of my design decisions, while also surfacing two errors: the bottom header was largely redundant, and I had forgotten to add a scroll bar.
Early wireframes.
Wizard of Oz testing.
Finally, I added a layer of visual design. I improved readability by heightening contrast, increasing all of the font sizes, and instituting an overall graphic hierarchy of text, colors, and images.
The color scheme is meant to be neutral and professional. Accent colors are employed sparingly, and work to distinguish different content sections and types.

OTHER PROJECTS

Back to Top